Monday, May 05, 2008

Here We Go Again

You may remember back on February 5 that tornados blew through our part of the state. Well last Friday, May 2, we had yet another stormy day. This time it was in the morning. At about 9 am, I got a call from Brian that Conway County was under a warning and that a tornado had been confirmed to touch down. Of course my first thoughts were of my kids. They were at school, and here I was 25 miles away. All I could do was pray that they were ok. I spent the rest of my morning checking up on people and watching the local news on the internet. The kids were safe, but I soon found that several people I knew had lost their homes, including one of the little girls in Skylar's preschool class. The last I heard, there were eight deaths caused by the storms, so while losing a home is devastating, it could have been worse.

When I picked Skylar up from school, I quizzed her about her morning. She said when the sirens started going off they went to their safe room and Mrs. Cindy started praying over them. I once again feel so blessed that she is in a preschool where there is such a strong Christian foundation. She didn't know what had happened to her friend's home, and I struggled to explain it to her in a way that wouldn't scare her or upset her too badly. She was very concerned for her friend and all of her toys. I told her the toys could all be replaced and that we should be thankful her family was alright. She accepted that and then suggested we buy her something to replace her lost toys. We will be making a trip to the store very soon, and I won't be surprised if she and her friend end up with new matching outfits and something fun too.

No comments: