Friday, April 13, 2007

Psalm 37:4

I recently finished the book Red Bird by Stephanie Grace Whitson. It is the third book in her Prairie Winds series about the Lakota Indians and the missionaries settling in the Nebraska plains. It is an inspiring and uplifting series of books that I would recommend to anyone.

One of the passages that really stuck with me after finishing the book was a conversation two characters had about Psalm 37:4, which reads “Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.” Much like Carrie in the book, I once selfishly believed that if I was a good girl then God would reward me with whatever my heart desired. It wasn’t until I really knew Christ that I realized that being good isn’t good enough. I have to delight in the Lord, put Him first – do His will even when it’s not mine – and He will reward me not by giving me what my carnal heart desires, but by changing my desires to match His. That’s what Christ does for us, He changes our hearts and makes us a new creature from the inside out.

No comments: