Monday, October 22, 2007

2007 Race for the Cure

Saturday my friend Kathy, my sister Julie, and I joined with close to 50,000 other participants in the annual Susan G Koman Race for the Cure in downtown Little Rock. We were cheered on by thousands of onlookers, including my hubby Brian and my son Stephen who took part this year for the first time by registering for the Three Miles of Men. And while we didn't finish in record breaking time (right at 1 hour 15 minutes), we left feeling great about our contribution to the cause of breast cancer awareness and research.

It was amazing to see that many people turn out in support of this cause. There were so many people walking in honor or in memory of someone who has fought breast cancer. I walked in honor of both my grandmother - a nearly 20 year survivor - and my mother-in-law - a 13 year survivor. It was most inspiring to see those who are currently battling this disease out there taking it one step at a time. I saw many who showed the signs of current treatment- no hair- face masks. It really made me stop and realize how truly blessed I am to be as healthy as I am.

No comments: